The name Ravana obtain from the word “Ra”= Sun & “Vana”= Generation as per nationalist Sinhala scholar Arisen. This denotes the root word “RU” = raavayati iti raavanah—one who makes god love by his compassionate actions. It was said that name given by lord Shiva which means “terrifying roar”.
Below facts are source of Anand Neelakanta’s Book (click the Link to Buy):
1) The Ten-headed, twenty-armed figure of Ravana as the supreme anti-hero in Indian Mythology portrayed as 10 base emotions of which the great King Mahabali advises Ravana to shun other Nine emotions: Anger; Pride; Jealousy; Happiness; Sadness; Fear; Selfishness; Passion & Ambition. Intellect alone be revered.
2) Ravana born very poor before he captured Lanka, to a Brahmin sage Visrava and women Kaikesi, which she belongs to Asura Tribe called Hethis.
3) Ravana gained Trikota (Capital of Lanka) without a War on Kubera (God of Wealth). As Kubera’s Soldiers subjected to Food Poisioning during their lunch by Bhadra (the Chef). Bhadra was servant of Asura tribe who disguised as cook before Asura’s attack on Lanka.
4) Sita was daughter of Ravana and Mandodhari before her adoption by king Janaka of Mithila kingdom. This Asura King knews very well and he treated her as Princess of Asura but she rejected.
5) Apart from Sita and Meghanadha, Ravana also Father to 2 Sons; One Athikaya from Mala (Prostitute of Trikota) and Akshaya Kumara from Mandodhari (who died at age 7).
6) Ravana would like to marry Vedavathi (the Widower) as his second wife before she accidentally caught with lamp fire and died when Bhadra was assigned to kill her by the order of Maricha. At the time, Ravana was captured in the hands of Karthaveeryarjuna (King of Haihayas kingdom with capital at Mahishamati) at the west end of Narmada River.
7) Pushpaka Viman, the flying machine was actually made by Ancestors of Mayans. Mayan was Father-in-law of Ravana. He was assigned as Minister of Civil Planning and Administration who built Gokarna, Roads, Schools, entire Architecture of Trikota. Ravana (at age of 50) learnt Astrology and Astronomy from Mayan.
8) Lankini was the Asura governor located at the southern tip of the mainland, where the three oceans met. She betrayed Ravana, formed alliance with Hanuman. At the time of final battle, Ravana and his soldiers were surrounded by Armies of Lankini, Vibhishana, Sugreeva, Varuna and Rama.
9) The life of Rama and Lakshmana saved thrice [twice from attack of Athikaya and Meghanada and Once from Ravana himself] with the help of Monkey-men such as Sugreeva, Hanuman, Angada, etc.. Jambavanth, whom has good knowledge in Ayurvedic system of Medicine. During times of 14 days war, Ravana was nearer to age 60 and Rama in twenties.
10) Ravana was responsible for the death of Vidhyutjivha (Husband of Soorpanaka), his own brother-in-law because he betrayed him seizing Trikota and declare himself as King while Ravana was in campaign conquering India with his Army.